Several differences between Shopify and Squarespace
- Shopify Review;
- Squarespace Review;
- Shopify and Squarespace: key features.
eCommerce market is expanding every day as well as the technical implementation of software solutions. This review will introduce you to the two most popular platforms.
Shopify is a platform for creating websites, focused on maintaining multi-channel trading through online stores, mobile apps and social networks.
Shopify is focused on online stores, but there is an opportunity to create selling landings,
Squarespace is an eCommerce builder focused on creating blogs and portfolios. It is also a commercial site for the sales of goods and services, including digital ones. Is Squarespace good for eCommerce? The constructor does not require special knowledge in the building of sites and is intuitively clear for understanding.
On the basis of Squarespace, you can build online stores, landings and visiting websites that will interest freelancers, individual entrepreneurs, representatives of SME in trade and services. There is no Russian version. For a more detailed information about the functionality of the system, a trial period of two weeks is provided.
Shopify and Squarespace: key features
Comparing pricing between Shopify and Squarespace
Despite the higher monthly cost of the Shopify builder (from $ 30 to $ 300), you get more functional capacity than Squarespace can demonstrate. The month of using the Squarespace builder will cost you from $ 12 up to $ 40.
eCommerce business requires builder’s non-standard solutions. Often there is a need to use pop-up subscriptions, non-standard blocks for a competitive presentation of the product. In this case, the advanced features of the template, such as premium blocks, customizable code, pop-ups can be helpful.
It should be borne in mind that in Squarespace a number of functions are available only for a business package, which costs from $ 18 per month ($ 6 more than a personal package). Such functions are:
- promotional Pop-Ups (advertising pop-ups);
- premium blocks and integrations (premium blocks and integration);
If we compare the Squarespace to the Shopify builder as to these functions, we can notice the following:
- pop-ups in Shopify can be connected via a third-party free application;
- premium blocks can be accessed in the main themes of Shopify;
- the customizable code in Shopify is present by default.
Although, in Shopify
Squarespace or Shopify? Observations of the expert
Registration on squarespace.com takes place in three simple steps:
- Click the button "Create a site" in the upper right corner of the site.
- Then we get to the template selection page for your online shop. For convenience, there is a search by name, and all templates are grouped by category. Click on the selected template and wait for a few seconds.
- The account registration page pops up next, there you enter Your First and Last Name, E-mail and password. So, your store has just been created, and it is ready to function. To configure the template, go to the "Design" menu.
1. Click on the button Get Started and fill in the fields with the appropriate information: e-mail, password and the name of your online store.
2. Next, we go to the page where you are asked to indicate how you sell the goods, as well as your current income.
3. On the next pop-up window, you need to fill out your contact information.
If you want the design of your online Shopify store look more beautiful and individual, then don’t hesitate to go to the admin panel.
First, let us consider what onboarding is. Onboarding is a process of advertising the basic value of your product to the new users. The goal of onboarding is to turn the new customers into loyal users. Well-built onboarding allows you to form a strong relationship with the audience.
Squarespace onboarding, right after the welcome window, highlights such key functions as:
- selecting a site category (Who is this site for?);
- the content of the site (What is this site about?);
- site objectives (What are your goals for this site?);
- site name (Please fill a title for your website).
Shopify onboarding allows you to specify the correct direction of the setting, starting with:
- customization of your store’s interface;
- adding a product to your store;
- registration of a user's website address.
Our expert did not indicate the differences in onboarding of these two builders, they are both simple and intuitive in use.
Choosing the templates
To choose between Shopify and Squarespace you should know that in Shopify there are 10 free templates https://themes.shopify.com/themes?sort_by=most_recent&price%5B%5D=free.
You can immediately change the fonts and colors, favicon (the icon of the website or web page that is displayed by the browser in the tab before the page name, and as the image next to the bookmark, tabs and other elements of the interface).
Squarespace has a large selection of templates for the free trial. When creating a site, you can add pages and page components. To add a product, you need to create a product page. It is convenient to change the color, font and font size. You can create a logo using logo.squarespace.com (an icon of a simple image and company name), but you'll have to give $ 10 payment for it.
NOTA BENE: The themes of Shopify are eCommerce oriented, so
Squarespace also has advanced design settings by the template. In addition, it is possible to add a video banner. Moreover, it has an ability to add text, image, video, buttons, and audio. The builder offers various solutions for the Image Layout (poster, map, overlay, collage, stack), Galleries (slideshow, carousel, grid, stack), Filters and lists (search, link to content, tag cloud, archive), Graphs (histogram, pie chart, linear chart). In the Premium (paid) mode, there are also code, menu, OpenTable, Amazon.
Squarespace eCommerce vs Shopify have practically no differences. You can add items with the help of a ready-made template.
The ability to add the following information to Shopify:
- Price (price comparison);
- Information for the shipment of goods;
- Product Variants;
- Preview in search systems (SEO function);
- Product type and store;
Adding the product to Squarespace:
You can add the following:
- Price (comparison);
- Characteristics (weight, number, size), can be added with other features;
- Creating a form (the form of the product, which the buyers will be asked to fill out when adding this product to the cart);
- Social networks.
Choosing between Shopify and Squarespace
To sum up the review about Squarespace eCommerce vs Shopify, it should be noted that the Squarespace service is cheaper and more easy to use; the settings allow you to integrate this service into all available platforms. Shopify is a platform that provides a store service that hosts 1 to 20,000 products, with an emphasis on server optimization, data protection, and optimization of the eCommerce process, unlike Squarespace, which is a platform for 1-10 products, with an emphasis on blogging.
A distinctive feature of Shopify is that this builder allows you to implement a lot of special solutions and functions that will allow you to fully and flexibly maintain your business. If none of the presented constructors has pleased you, then we recommend that you read the review about other existing eCommerce solutions. For example, Shopify vs Magento: Which eCommerce Platform is the Best Choice?
The MakeBeCool company offers you a group of experts who manage both Shopify and Squarespace eCommerce projects of any complexity. MakebeCool provides quality services, the result of which can exceed even your best expectations. Fill in the form and our Shopify Consultant will help you determine the ways of increasing professional growth.