What is Shopify conversion rate optimization?
Every Shopify store owner is concerned with the issue of attracting traffic to his website. Okay, now you get some traffic and Google started to speed it up, but do you know what to do next? Saying traffic we mean the users with whom you need to communicate as you do it in real life and motivate them to make a purchase. How to do that?
Do not intrude into your clients’ personal space and do not attack them with cold calls. That does not work. Think about the Shopify store conversion rate optimization. Below you can read what it is and how to efficiently use it in your business
What is conversion rate optimization?
“We will change the color of the button for only $ 100 and your sales WILL GROW by 100%.”
“We have come up with an excellent marketing strategy and the applications will come to you all the time”.
This is the standard promise that conversion optimization experts can give you. Let’s suppose they manage your online store and you get a report:
“We made a cool design, set up adverts, but then, everything stopped working and conversions dropped again.” Is that a familiar situation? Do you want to know why the conversions are falling? First of all, let's see what a conversion is.
What is the
online-store conversion rate?
To start, let’s consider the definition of conversion rate optimization.
Shopify conversion is a key action that a user has taken in your store. The user can make a conversion in an online or offline store. Most often, the client decides to buy goods in the store (offline conversion) after visiting your online store.
The conversions that he can perform online are the following: like a posting, viewing a page, registering an account, signing up for a subscription, posting information on social networks, asking for a price, buying a product.
To set the value of each conversion, it must be calculated.
How to calculate the conversion cost?
CPO = amount of advertising expenses/number of confirmed orders
Conversions rate = (conversions / number of visitors) * 100%
After you have received information about the traffic and the cost of each conversion, you can see the problems that need to be fixed, that is, to do CRO.
What is CRO?
Often there are cases when our partners say: let's do it like these guys, it works for them and it means we will succeed also. In 70% of cases, this is a false belief. Why? You may have a different audience, market segment, offer and many other factors, including USP (unique selling proposition), product positioning and packaging (online store).
Your task is to find weak spots in your store and fix them so that your store could be even better than your opponents’. This is what CRO aims to.
According to Wikipedia,
Conversion Rate Optimization is the process of analyzing and increasing the percentage of visitors who perform the desired action (conversion) over a certain period of time.
In other words, this is the study of the visitor's behavior on your site and building a
Top 3 CRO misconceptions:
- This is SEO
Okay, with the help of these keywords you have gained traffic from the search networks. Great. But what if this traffic is irrelevant at all? What if people who visited your online store do not understand who you are and what you sell? That is, they are just some passers-by who are unlikely to buy something at your store.
- This is UX analysis
According to Wikipedia, UX analytics is the process of increasing user satisfaction by making higher usability, accessibility, and enjoyment provided during the interaction between the user and the product. In other words, this is the creation of an interface that will encourage your customer to buy a product. To motivate him to buy
certainproduct, you need to study his behavior and put forward a hypothesis on this basis. This is the only difference: CRO is not based on random hypotheses, only on numbers.
- This is marketing
Let us suppose, thanks to the communication and sales channels, many users visit your site, but do you know which channel speeds your sales, and which losses? Consider whether you have such information. The marketer has performed his task, but maintaining this traffic and converting it into sales should be performed by a conversion optimization expert.
When is it better to optimize the conversions?
Here are some eCommerce conversion optimization tips for first-time businessmen.
This service is important for owners of the online stores at all the stages of their business development: for novice company owners it helps to avoid common mistakes that can critically affect your business; for experienced entrepreneurs it helps to improve their online store as well as increase sales, and maybe even they can expand their businesses.
Conversion rate optimization tools
In order to understand how your customers interact with your partner’s online store, we use different methods and tools:
- Analysis of the site, i.e. how much it is convenient for the user, detecting the problems he faces. The tools include
hotjar, lucky orange, crazy egg, usertesting, loop11, google forms
- Analytics audit: we check the accuracy of collecting data on the visitors and whether your partner collects it at all. The tool: Google Analytics
- We track users who come from different communication/sales channels. Tool: FB Pixel, KISSmetrics.
- Analysis and search for competitors. The tool: Similar Web.
- Audit of advertising campaigns: we analyze whether a client is wasting his budget for nothing. The tools: Google Ads, Facebook Ads / Instagram.
- Collection and mailing of offers, remarketing, user’s reminder of his abandoned shopping cart. The tools: MailChimp, Klaviyo.
- Work with heat maps and screen recordings: we check how the users interact with your site in real time and build our hypotheses. The tools: Hotjar / Crazy Egg / Lucky Orange.
- Testing i.e. we determine if it is convenient and pleasant for your clients to do shopping conversion in your online store. We test or disprove hypotheses using A / B testing pages, and then choose the option that brings more conversions. The tools: Google Optimize, VWO / Optimizely
How to track conversions in your online store?
Data analysis phase
The first stage is the analysis of the data from an online store and the behavior of the users who visit your online store. What information we analyze:
- users’ data (geo, gender, age, interests, devices);
- how users get to your site (attraction channels);
- what actions they perform (events, heat maps, web viewers);
- conversions data (purchases, registrations, clicks)
Basing on the data obtained, we hypothesize:
- what could improve the user promotion through the sales funnel;
- how site changes could impact the situation;
- and what risks may arise.
We form hypotheses for optimizing conversions. If the level of user interaction with the interface is low, and the bounce rate at the site is high, then we conduct the experiment or A / B testing.
Results Analysis and Repetition Phase
This stage is designed to analyze and determine the hypothesis that caused the conversion, that is, the best results.
Why do the conversions fall in an online store?
This is a question that bothers and scares all businessmen. But let's consider this question more thoroughly. The online store conversions are made by the users who for some reason left the site. We need to analyze this problem, fix it, so as not to lose other customers.
The factors why the users can leave your online store are the following:
- The problem of trust. Why should I send an advance payment for the goods? What are the terms and conditions of delivery? The site has no reviews, maybe this seller is unreliable? How to contact the seller? Your client is looking for all this information in your online store. What for? He
needsto know that you are a reliable seller, so if the site does not have this data, he will go to your competitors’.
- Convenience. The site is inconvenient to use and the user does not understand what each button is designated for. Every 10 seconds he tries to withstand the attacks of pop-ups, but non-convenient filtering and sorting of goods does not work correctly.
- Price. Why is everything so expensive? After all, the sites of your competitors are similar, and the products are cheaper. It is better to order at your competitors’ store. Why do customers have such thoughts? You do not tell them about your uniqueness and the benefits that they receive from you.
How to boost Shopify conversion rate optimization?
We have given you
The owner of this company addressed us with the problem of reduced sales and poor performance. The task that our partner set for us was to find out the reason for the fall in conversions and build a strategy on how to improve this situation.
- Analysis of the funnel and the user's steps from entering the site up to making a purchase. As a result of this analysis, we found out that the majority of the users make a purchase without visiting the product page, but add the product to the cart from the categories page.
- We also identified the problems and hypothesized how to increase the conversions.
- After conducting the A / B test, we determined that our hypotheses were successful and implemented the results into the project.
The first stage of our cooperation with Zinvo company brought us positive results i.e. doubled sales and conversions. Below you can see these numbers.
In addition to increasing conversions, our team received
“Our website wasn’t performing well. There were long loading times, we didn’t have conversion optimization, and the UX/UI experience wasn’t the best.
They performed everything we put in their scope well. It was very helpful to get
You can read the whole text of the feedback here.
To sum it up, we want to say that conversion optimization is a constant and trivial process that requires careful conversion rate optimization analysis of your market as well as the niche and customer behavior in your online store. We know that many of you have a highly developed intuition that helps you in your business, but in the case of CRO, you should not rely on it. Trust only the numbers and how the customer interacts with your brand. By his behavior, he will certainly show what problems you have. To do that you should consider our conversion rate optimization tips: analyze the data - develop hypotheses - test assumptions - study the results - draw conclusions - implement them in life and analyze them again.
Only with such an integrated approach and understanding of the
If you stopped at one of these stages and do not know how to proceed, contact our MakeBeCool conversion rate, optimization experts. We will help you deal with the problem in a short time.
We wish you just high eCommerce conversions and do not forget about the importance of regular processes.
Share with us your idea
Our Shopify Consultant will help you determine the ways of increasing professional growthCONTACT US
to receive weekly eCommerce tips, news, researches and methods of increasing business and professional growth.
No more than 5 letters per month.
We appreciate your time!